Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Time's up for "easy_install"

I wanted to solve the problem of installing PyObjC using easy_install for the oddball Pythons that XCode insists on trying to use to run my projects. If that sounds indirect, it is. It's a problem caused by a problem caused by a problem.

I've spent at least 5 hours trying to figure out how to use my existing System Python's easy_install to install PyObjC for an alternate Python (like in ~/Software/Python ..) using these instructions and specifically this method. It's not working for me. Maybe someone knows of a step-by-step example on the web.

The method given does not seem to work. I can't even figure out how to modify a pth file so easy_install is happy.

It makes more sense to me to do a clean install of OS X on the machine in question. That only takes an hour or so.