Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Drew McCormack's new Python book

Drew McCormack of MacResearch has a new book (actually, two of them). The one that's available now is called 'Scientific Scripting With Python.' I downloaded the pdf from lulu (about $14). I'm a big fan of his tutorials titled Cocoa For Scientists, and I think it was partly to thank him for those that I bought the pdf.

It's a very nice, short and well-written introduction to Python. It is perfect for someone who has little experience with Python. I am a bit disappointed that there doesn't seem to be anything in it to help me grow (the "Scientific" part is lacking), though perhaps the last 20 pages holds something.

As I've said before, I really like Mark Pilgrim's book(s), including the latest. He's a talented writer (as is Drew) and he is serious about "diving in." He has a lot to say, so if you are comfortable with Python, there is a lot to be learned from Mark.

Other on-line resources I can recommend:
• the tutorial at python.org
• Allen Downey's Think Python

And, not strictly Python, but very useful
Software Carpentry

Zelle Python Programming remains my favorite programming book.

P.S. If you do use lulu, don't be confused by the signup page. The fourth text field is for a user name, despite the label to the left and the prompt underneath for a "store name." It didn't help that Safari autofill put the http.. for lulu into the box automatically.