Tuesday, April 24, 2012

big brother

As I mentioned in a previous post, I "upgraded" to iCloud from MobileMe basically in order to keep my .mac email address (which is actually now a .me address, but it forwards, or something). I'm not happy about iDisk going away, since I linked to so much content here on the blog, but that's the way it's going to be. I'm not going to fix all those links by hand to point to a new server. I still have the files, if anyone wants something.

I use Dropbox, and I love it. It's simple to choose which directories and files are shared, and I share everyday between work and home. I've also been grateful for the ability to roll back changes and recover deleted files, and also to share files in my Public folder.

Now comes iCloud.

How do you share selected folders to the cloud? As far as I know, you can't. There is a method explained by a Macworld editor in a post titled "Make Your Own Personal Dropbox With iCloud", and at the end he says:

Apple says that using this folder in the manner described above may lead to data loss
That doesn't sound like something I want to try. And then of course there's this:


I checked the box for "Documents & Data", and then unchecked it, to find this ominous alert. Note there's no way to say, please don't erase all that shared data from my Mac. Big brother knows best. I really have no explanation for it, but Apple have become even bigger a***oles than Microsoft were at their peak.

So it's a very welcome thing to see Google Drive announced today (article).

They would never erase my data for some stupid DRM-related reason. Would they?